Navajo Prep player hurt Friday released from hospital

Coach says Jonathon Slim has a bruised back after a legal hit during the game

Jake Newby
Navajo Preparatory School and Shiprock High School football players meet on the field with team coaches and referees to pray for Navajo Preparatory School's Jonathan Slim after he was injured in a play, Friday, Sept. 25, 2015, at Eagle Stadium in Farmington.

FARMINGTON — The Navajo Prep junior who was injured in Friday’s football game against Shiprock High School was released from the hospital over the weekend.
Jonathon Slim was transported off the field in an ambulance after a legal hit by a Shiprock player in the third quarter of Navajo Prep’s homecoming game at Eagle Stadium.
He was released from San Juan Regional Medical Center with a bruised back, according to Navajo Prep head coach Storm Tallbull.
“The nurses got him on his feet, and he was able to walk around late Friday night,” Tallbull said on Sunday evening. “Soon after he came out in a wheelchair and said he was just sore at that point. (Nurses) said he was able to walk, he just needed a little help.”
On Friday, Slim, a wide receiver, was hit during an incomplete Navajo Prep passing play. He laid motionless on the field for nearly 40 minutes while trainers assessed his condition.
Tallbull said Slim told trainers he had no feeling in his legs or feet, but he did not lose consciousness. 
He was transported off the field on a stretcher shortly before 9:40 p.m. While Slim was down, the Shiprock and Navajo Prep players and coaches joined at midfield to say a prayer. The Chieftains (2-2) went on to beat Navajo Prep (1-3). The final score was 20-16.
Tallbull, who visited Slim in the hospital after the game, said the bruised vertebrae is in the middle of Slim’s lumbar spine.
“When the doctors did his X-ray it came back negative,” Tallbull said. “There was no herniated disc or bone protruding into his central nervous system or a fracture or anything like that, because those are the things that creep into your head when you see something scary like (the hit).”
He stressed that the athlete was doing well.
“It’s just basically a bruised back and it’s going to take him some time to regain all feeling,” he said.
Tallbull said his main concern right now is letting Slim recover before making plans to get back on the field.
Jake Newby covers sports for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4577.