Kirtland falls 43-0 to Bayfield, Farmington comes back to top Los Lunas 15-14

Jake Newby The Daily Times
The Daily Times

FARMINGTON — The Bayfield, Colo., football team was far too much for Kirtland Central to handle on Friday night at Broncos Stadium.

Though the visiting Wolverines took only a 7-0 advantage into the second quarter of play, they created considerable distance between themselves and the Broncos before the half.

"In the beginning of the game, there were some crucial plays; we tried a fake punt, and it didn't work. They tried one that did work," KCHS coach Greg Jenks said. "They also went for it on fourth down and made it (in the second quarter). Some huge, crucial plays."

The Wolverines extended their lead out to 29-0 by halftime and went on to win 43-0.

"In the end, we got out butt kicks," Jenks said. "You can't deny that."

The first-year Broncos coach still saw some bright spots, such as the play of defensive lineman/offensive guard Lathaniel Washburn.

"We had a couple of warriors out there tonight for sure. Like Lathaniel — I don't think he even came off the field tonight at all," Jenks said. "He's someone who had a great week of practice too, just got better from Monday through Friday."

The 0-1 Broncos will host Farmington on Friday at 7 p.m.

Socorro outduels Shiprock 66-30

The Shiprock football team had some mixed results in its first game under first-year head coach Eric Stovall, but ultimately fell 66-30 to Socorro Friday night at Chieftain Stadium.

"We moved the ball effectively and did some good things," Stovall said. "I thought overall we played consistently in the first half. But obviously we need to correct some things on both sides of the ball."

The Chieftains went blow for blow with the Warriors for much of the first half, trailing only 26-22 late in the second quarter.

Chieftain turnovers and a breakthrough in Socorro's running game after halftime put Socorro in the driver's seat for good.

"We gave up big plays in that second half," Stovall said. "I credit Socorro for their efforts. (Mike Armijo) on their side did a really good job. Rushing wise, they got the best of us to the edge a lot down the stretch."

Senior quarterback Arjay Miller had a mixed bag of results Friday with three touchdown passes and three interceptions.

The Chieftains will look to get into the win column at 6 p.m. on Sept. 5 in a home game versus Chinle.

Farmington 15, Los Lunas 14

Farmington found fourth-quarter magic for the second year in a row against Los Lunas (0-1), beating the Tigers 15-14 Friday night in Los Lunas.

Down 14-7 the Scorps crossed the goal line when quarterback Kody Becenti found receiver Diego Elebario to make it 14-13 with 55 seconds remaining.

FHS head coach Jeff Dalton said that the Scorps (1-0) decided that if they scored late in the game they would go for the two-point conversion for the win.

And that's exactly what they did, with Donovan Gonzalez finding the end zone.

"With about three minutes left, I said that if we scored on this drive, we were going to go for the win," Dalton said. "It was a great play call, and we got it in. The kids really showed up tonight."

The move to have Benenti at quarterback instead of Elebario, who was the FHS starter all of last season, came at the end of camp.

"The whole world thought we were going to have Diego at quarterback, but Kody and him really battled back and forth all summer," Dalton said. "Kody has gotten better every day, and Diego is such a threat at receiver and a great leader as a defensive back that we thought the best chance for us to be successful was with that combination."

FHS will be on the road again Friday, making the short trip to Kirtland to take on the Broncos (0-1).

Navajo Prep no decision vs Laguna Acoma

Navajo Prep came out of Friday's game at Laguna Acoma without a win or loss after the game was ruled a no decision because of multiple lightning strikes in the area.

"We took two 30-minute breaks before they stopped it," Prep head coach Storm Tallbull said. "It was really just the weather that threw everything off."

The game was called with two minutes left in the second quarter, when Laguna Acoma held an 8-0 lead.

Tallbull said the Eagle offense started slow, but after a couple possessions, the unit began to find its rhythm in the passing game.

Defensively, Tallbull said he was very pleased with how the Eagles were able to shut down Laguna Acoma's dominant power running game.

"All these years, they've had success with that power running game, and we were able to shut them down. My defensive coordinators had a great game plan, and I have to give the majority of the credit to my defensive staff," Tallbull said.

The Eagles will be back on the road Friday, traveling to Estancia to take on the Bears.

Sports editor Karl Schneider contributed to this story.

Jake Newby covers sports for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4577 and Follow him @JakeNewby07 on Twitter.