Delivery of exceptional care at San Juan Regional Medical Center
Preparing for the birth of a baby is one of the most exciting times in a new parent’s life. It can also be a challenging time, with lots of important decisions to make. San Juan Regional Medical Center believes this important relationship with patients begins long before the start of a pregnancy and continues long after a baby is born. The hospital’s Childbirth Center is committed to providing the support services and education new parents need to make sure their baby gets the best start in life.
It all starts with dedicated caregivers who are there every step of the way to understand each parent’s individual needs and help plan for the incredible adventure called parenthood. These health professionals personalize care by asking “what matters to you” and listening to the answers to help provide parents with the birth experience they envision.
To make sure new parents are equipped with the information they need throughout pregnancy and beyond, San Juan Regional Medical Center offers comprehensive childbirth education classes. This benefit to new parents is offered free of charge. Some of the things soon-to-be parents can learn through the Childbirth Center’s eight class Childbirth Preparation Series include:
- How the baby develops during pregnancy
- Suggestions for staying more comfortable during pregnancy, labor and delivery
- Relaxation and breathing techniques to use during labor and delivery
- Creating a birth plan
- What labor and birth involve, and how the partner can help
- Postpartum care
Registration is now open for the next series of Childbirth Preparation classes, which will begin in early October and will be held online.
As she prepares for the big event, mom-to-be can choose from an OB physician or nurse midwife at SJRMC. The private, spacious birthing rooms in the Childbirth Center are designed to help parents bond with their new baby – and the whole family. In each room, sleeping accommodations for the support person allow them to stay overnight with mother and baby. The rooms also have an adjoining en-suite bathroom with Jacuzzi tubs for comfort during labor. Once baby has made his or her grand entrance into the world, mom and baby share the same nurse for continuity of care. The Childbirth Center also has a Level II nursery for babies that need extra attention.
San Juan Regional Medical Center is a designated Baby-Friendly® hospital, committed to providing the best possible care for mothers and their babies. The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative is an evidence based program designed to support mother/baby bonding and optimal infant feeding practices. Decades of research have established that breast milk is perfectly suited to nourish infants and protect them from illness.
Advantages of delivering in a Baby-Friendly® facility include:
- Babies are kept close to their mothers right after birth and skin-to-skin contact is encouraged to help baby transition to the outside world
- Healthy babies and their mothers room in together, allowing them to time to bond and get to know one another
- Skin-to-skin contact and rooming in have been proven to improve quality of sleep, lead to less crying and distress and improve the breastfeeding experience
- Lactation support is offered free of charge before, during and after a hospital stay
- For those choosing to formula feed, staff will ensure that they are knowledgeable and comfortable preparing infant formula and bottle feeding baby safely
“San Juan Regional Medical Center is proud to be Baby-Friendly,” said Suzanne Smith, Chief Nursing Officer. “By providing early support and information to parents and creating an environment that enhances parent-child attachment, we hope to improve new mothers’ breastfeeding rates and help mothers and babies get off to a great start.”
The support continues after mothers leave San Juan Regional Medical Center, with comprehensive breastfeeding support services open to all new mothers in the community. Those services include individual appointments with experienced lactation consultants. To schedule an appointment, call 505.609.6484.
For more information about San Juan Medical Center’s Childbirth Center, visit them online or call 505- 609.6189.