Man shot at San Juan Regional is in critical condition

Steve Garrison
The Daily Times

FARMINGTON — The Farmington Police Department announced in a press release Wednesday morning that the Mexican national shot by an officer Sunday has been identified as Heriberto Nava-Martinez.

Nava-Martinez is receiving treatment at San Juan Regional Medical Center. Hospital spokeswoman Roberta Rogers said Wednesday afternoon that he was in critical condition.

Nava-Martinez is expected to be charged with drunken driving, vehicle theft and numerous traffic offenses for allegedly stealing a pickup truck shortly before 9 p.m. Sunday from a business on Herrera Road and crashing it into several objects on East Main Street.

Witnesses told police Nava-Martinez drove the badly damaged truck at a high rate of speed in the wrong lane of traffic on East Main Street, narrowly avoiding other vehicles on the road, according to the press release.

Nava-Martinez allegedly pulled into the Shell gas station at 3341 E. Main Street at one point during the incident, sprayed gasoline on another driver and attempted to steal his vehicle, according to the release.

Nava-Martinez was arrested within six minutes of the first 911 call about him, according to the press release.

He told police in Spanish at the time of his arrest that his name was "Ediberto Nava," according to a search warrant affidavit. He said he was a 23-year-old Mexican national who has lived in the United States for about two years.

According to dispatch records, 10 people called 911 to report the man's erratic driving between 8:47 and 9:05 p.m.

Nava-Martinez was transported to San Juan Regional Medical Center for treatment and to have his blood drawn for a DWI investigation, according to the release.

While Nava-Martinez was being moved between different parts of the hospital, he allegedly lunged at Farmington police officer David Rock and a violent struggle ensued, the release states.

Nava-Martinez was shot by Rock during the struggle, the release states.

The shooting is under investigation by New Mexico State Police.

State police Sgt. Chad Pierce confirmed the investigation is underway. He said he could not say when the investigation would be completed.

Steve Garrison covers crime and courts for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4644 and Follow him on Twitter @SteveGarrisonDT on Twitter.