Navajo Nation Council delegate responds to charges filed in discretionary fund case
FARMINGTON — Navajo Nation Council Delegate Mel R. Begay issued a statement on Thursday addressing the new set of charges filed against him last week by the tribe's special prosecutor in the ongoing discretionary fund case.
In the one-page statement, Begay said he was dismayed and disappointed by the allegations, especially since previous attempts were dismissed for insufficient evidence.
He also criticized the special prosecutor for continuing to charge the tribe to refile claims that are "unsupported."
"I intend to defend myself to the fullest extent of the law against these unwarranted charges," Begay said in the statement.
Begay represents the Bahastl'ah, Coyote Canyon, Mexican Springs, Naschitti and Tohatchi chapters.
The seven criminal complaints for making or permitting false tribal vouchers were filed July 13 in Window Rock District Court in Window Rock, Ariz.
The council established the discretionary fund to provide financial assistance to tribal members facing financial difficulties or in need of emergency assistance.