Man injured in fire at Farmington home

The Daily Times staff

FARMINGTON — A man was injured this  afternoon when a fire in the yard of a Farmington home caused several aerosol cans to explode.

Firefighters for the Farmington Fire Department prepare to leave the scene of a fire that injured a man on Iles Avenue in Farmington on Friday.

The Farmington Fire Department responded to a small fire at 4:55 p.m. at 3315 Iles Ave. that was extinguished quickly, according to fire Capt. Mark Milne.

The injured man was transported to the San Juan Regional Medical Center for treatment, Milne said. He did not know the man's condition or the extent of his injuries. Officers with the Farmington Police Department also responded to the call.

While the man was burning weeds and trash, Milne said the fire got out of control and spread to some wood pallets, dead trees and trash.

There was no damage from the fire to nearby structures. The yard where the fire occurred faces the drive-thru and parking lot of the Walgreens location at the corner of East Main Street and Gila Street.

Several old aerosol cans, possibly containing spray paint, were mixed with the trash and exploded during the fire, according to Milne.

The fire was an unauthorized burn since there was no permit issued, according to Milne.