San Juan College briefly on firearms lockdown

Hannah Grover
Carlos Michael Perez

FARMINGTON – A man was arrested this morning following an incident that prompted San Juan College to go into lockdown for about a half hour.

Carlos Perez, 33, allegedly pointed a firearm at a campus security guard during a confrontation, according to a Farmington Police Department press release.

He has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and is being held at the San Juan County Adult Detention Center, according to the press release.

Farmington police responded to a call reporting the incident shortly before 11 a.m., according to the press release.

The confrontation began when the security guard saw Perez attempting to enter a security vehicle. David Eppich, the San Juan College vice president of student services, said the confrontation was in parking lot A, near the intersection of College Boulevard and Campus Avenue.

When the guard confronted him, Perez got into his own car and allegedly pulled out a firearm, according to the press release. Perez then allegedly pointed the weapon at the security guard.

Eppich said no shots were fired and Perez left campus after the confrontation. According to the press release, Perez left campus heading south on College Boulevard.

San Juan College sent out an alert at 11:14 a.m., shortly after college officials were notified about the incident. Students and staff were ordered to follow emergency lockdown procedures.

A short time after the alert was issued, Perez returned to campus and was apprehended by Farmington police, Eppich said. The lockdown was lifted at approximately 11:30 a.m.

"I thought it was handled very well," Eppich said.

Eppich said the college does not believe the man was currently enrolled at San Juan College, however officials are looking to see if he is in the school's records. Eppich said the suspect may have formerly been a student at the college.

“For the past couple years, FPD and San Juan College have worked closely to improve security for students on campus," said Farmington Police Chief Steve Hebbe in the press release. "That work has included the assignment of a full-time officer to the college campus. Events such as these demonstrate how important that relationship is. While we are very pleased this incident ended without any injuries, we are committed to continuing building that relationship to keep students safe.”

Hannah Grover covers government for The Daily Times. She can be reached at 505-564-4652.