Get an understanding of the differences between misdemeanors and felonies in New Mexico. Farmington Daily Times

Paramedics transported victim to hospital


FARMINGTON — An Arizona man was identified by multiple witnesses as the person who attacked another man during a street fight, leaving the victim with a fractured skull.

Raven Deswood, 24, of Teec Nos Pos, Arizona, is accused of a third-degree felony count of aggravated battery, according to court records.

He is accused of punching and kicking a male in the roadway of a Farmington street, severely beating the victim, according to the probable cause statement.

Greg Shearer, Deswood's attorney, did not respond to requests for comment.

Farmington Police Department officers were dispatched around 8:44 p.m. on Sept. 13 to the intersection of East La Plata Street and North Orchard Avenue on reports of a fight between two men.

Emergency dispatch employees advised officers that two Native American males were seen fighting in the street.

An officer arrived on the scene saw a man lying on his back, with his face severely battered and covered in blood.

He was unconscious and appeared to be having trouble breathing.

A man at the scene told police he was a nurse and was stabilizing the man's neck and making sure his airway was clear. 

Paramedics were told to hurry to the scene due to the man's condition.

The victim was transported to San Juan Regional Medical Center, where he was diagnosed with a skull fracture, according to court documents.

Three witnesses told police they observed the fight.

A man later identified as Deswood was observed by witnesses throwing another man to the ground then punching him and stomping on the man's face.

At one point, Deswood allegedly kicked the man in the face.

When a male witness exited his vehicle and yelled at Deswood that he was going to call police, the defendant grabbed a black duffel bag and left westbound from the scene.

A female witness was speaking to an officer when Deswood returned to the scene. The woman and a male witness both identified Deswood as the suspect in the fight.

Deswood was detained and stated he stopped two males fighting and saved the life of one of the men. He then told police he was under the influence of alcohol.

An officer noted in the probable cause statement that Deswood's statements were not making sense.

The defendant's knuckles were cut, and bleeding and blood was found on his shirt and shoes.

His clothes were collected as evidence and a DNA sample was collected from the defendant.

Deswood was released from the San Juan County Adult Detention Center after a $1,800 cash at 10 percent bond was posted, according to jail records.

His preliminary hearing is set for the morning of Sept. 25 in Farmington Magistrate Court.

Joshua Kellogg covers breaking news for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4627 or via email at

Support local journalism with a digital subscription:

Read or Share this story: