Suspect's last day with agency was Friday


FARMINGTON — A former New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department employee is accused of child abuse for allegedly driving her children to their father's residence while intoxicated.

Dionna Anderson, 30, is accused of two third-degree felony counts of child abuse and a misdemeanor count of violating protective order, according to court documents.

Eric Morrow, Anderson's attorney, said she is innocent, and the arrest warrant affidavit has no witnesses who observed his client intoxicated. He said a few things a witness stated were found to be untrue by the officer involved in the case.

Morrow filed a motion Thursday stating Anderson was a CYFD employee. But department spokesman Henry Varela said Anderson is no longer an employee, and Friday was her last day. He said a child protective services investigation has been launched in regard to Anderson.

A Farmington Police Department officer was dispatched around 10:57 p.m. on June 20 to a residence on the 2500 block of East 16th Street on a report of an unwanted subject, according to the arrest warrant affidavit.

The officer was advised by dispatch that a woman later identified as Anderson had shown up to drop off two juvenile males at the residence and was being disruptive. He was then advised Anderson had left. He was told she was driving a silver passenger vehicle and was intoxicated.

The officer arrived at the residence and spoke to the father and a woman who had a restraining order against Anderson. The woman told the officer Anderson showed up at the front door with the two juveniles, who were crying. Anderson allegedly started arguing with the woman and the father.

The father told the officer he asked Anderson if she was intoxicated, and she did not respond.

The officer went to Anderson's residence and attempted to make contact but was unsuccessful.

Anderson called the officer around 6 a.m. on June 21 and told the officer she had not been intoxicated the night before. She stated she took the juveniles to their father's residence because she was having a fight with her boyfriend.

As part of the investigation, the father provided the officer text messages from Anderson's boyfriend from the night before. The boyfriend allegedly told the father in a text message that Anderson was so intoxicated she couldn't walk or stand, according to court documents.

Anderson was booked into the San Juan County Adult Detention Center and released, Morrow said.

Her preliminary hearing is set for the morning of July 16 in Farmington Magistrate Court.

Joshua Kellogg covers crime, courts and social issues for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4627 or via email at

Read or Share this story: