Suspect allegedly led police in a pursuit on west side of Farmington


FARMINGTON — A Farmington man is accused of his seventh DWI after police say he led them on a pursuit on the west side of Farmington.

Michael Tsosie, 36, is accused of four charges, including a third-degree felony count of DWI and a fourth-degree felony count of aggravated fleeing a law enforcement officer, according to court records.

Tsosie is accused of fleeing a Farmington Police Department officer in a vehicle on June 27 and leading police on a pursuit on the west side of Farmington while intoxicated, according to the probable cause statement.

The officer was dispatched around 12:32 a.m. on Wednesday to the Taco Bell at 2100 W. Main St. on reports of a DWI.

The officer drove his patrol vehicle near a red passenger car Tsosie was allegedly driving and observed the suspect had an open container of alcohol in the center console of the vehicle and reported that his eyes were very red.

The red passenger car allegedly headed west out of Taco Bell parking lot and drove westbound on West Main Street, and the patrol vehicle followed.

Police said Tsosie did not respond to the patrol vehicle's emergency lights and sirens as he drove through the parking lot of the Giant gas station at the intersection of West Apache Street and West Main Street.

The vehicle accelerated out of the gas station parking lot and headed eastbound on West Apache Street, driving as fast as 65 mph toward the Walmart entrance.

Tsosie allegedly entered the property of Walmart then exited again onto West Apache Street, heading westbound.

Police say he drove the car through a red light at the intersection of West Main Street and West Apache Street, heading westbound on Main Street, according to court documents.

A deputy for the San Juan County Sheriff's Office deployed spike strips on West Main Street as the vehicle approached New Mexico Highway 371.

Three of the red passenger car's tires were blown out, yet it continued north on the state highway.

The vehicle then pulled onto Figueroh Avenue and police say Tsosie exited the vehicle, fleeing north behind some residences.

Tsosie reportedly tripped and fell to the ground in an empty lot, where he was taken into custody.

The suspect refused a field sobriety test and a breathalyzer test, telling the officer he did not drink any alcohol.

An open, consumed can of beer and bottle of vodka were found in the vehicle as it was being prepared to be towed.

Tsosie is being held with no bond at the San Juan County Adult Detention Center. His preliminary hearing is set for Thursday morning in Farmington Magistrate Court.

Joshua Kellogg covers crime, courts and social issues for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4627 or via email at

Read or Share this story: