Suspect did not appear to have life-threatening injury


FARMINGTON — An aggravated battery suspect was shot by law enforcement officers Thursday night near a Farmington gas station.

Ryan Westman, 25, was shot near the Valero gas station at 4913 E. Main St. when officers for the U.S. Marshals Service South West Investigative Fugitive Team (SWIFT) Task Force fired shots at him as he attempted to flee, according to a San Juan County Sheriff's Office press release.

Following a pursuit Thursday evening, Westman was arrested and transported to the San Juan Regional Medical Center for treatment.

Westman did not appear to have a life-threatening injury, according to Detective Lt. Kyle Lincoln of the sheriff's office.

He was treated and released, according to hospital spokeswoman Roberta Rogers.

Westman is wanted for an aggravated battery charge out of McKinley County.

Local law enforcement agencies were engaged in a vehicle pursuit earlier on Thursday when Westman fled from officers for the Shiprock and Farmington police department, according to the press release.

The first pursuit started in McKinley County as Westman fled north on U.S. Highway 491 toward Shiprock, and then he headed eastbound on U.S. Highway 64 toward Farmington, according to Lincoln.

Deputies deployed stop sticks in the eastbound lane of U.S. Highway 64 west of Kirtland.

Westman allegedly switched lanes and started driving eastbound in the westbound lanes to avoid the stop sticks, according to Lincoln. He reportedly driving at speeds near 100 mph. 

Lincoln said Westman entered Farmington, and Farmington police picked up the pursuit, then lost him in south Farmington.

Westman was later spotted by police near the Valero gas station around 7 p.m. next to the Chili's restaurant on East Main Street.

SWIFT Task Force members fired shots at Westman when he put the officers and civilians in danger as he attempted to flee, according to the press release.

Westman was struck by the officers and fled the scene in his vehicle.

The number of rounds fired by officers and the number of shots that struck Westman are still under investigation, according to Lincoln. He added no officers or civilians were injured.

During the second pursuit, Westman drove east on East Main Street leaving Farmington and he turned south on County Road 350 at the intersection of N.M. Highway 516 and County Road 350 in Flora Vista, according to Lincoln.

He continued south on County Road 350 until police caught up with him.

A New Mexico State Police vehicle rammed Westman's vehicle north of the intersection of County Road 350 and U.S. Highway 64, and Westman lost control of his vehicle, according to Lincoln and the press release.

He was then taken into custody. The sheriff's office is leading the investigation.

Joshua Kellogg covers crime, courts and social issues for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4627 or via email at

Read or Share this story: