Murder suspect tells police he intended to hit victim

Wagon told police he was drinking with Beard and others before he allegedly got in a fight with Beard over a beer.

Joshua Kellogg
Anthony Wagon

FARMINGTON — Murder suspect Anthony Wagon told Farmington police he intentionally hit James Beard with his pickup truck following a fight, stating he "floored it" when he saw Beard walking alongside West Apache Street, according to court documents.

Wagon, 20, of Farmington was charged with first-degree murder in Farmington Magistrate Court Wednesday for allegedly killing Beard, 29, Monday evening, according to court records and documents.

Witnesses said Beard and Wagon along with two other people were drinking at a home in the El Ray Trailer Court at 2310 W. Apache St. for several hours earlier that day, according to the affidavit for arrest warrant.

Farmington police officers say Wagon told them during an interview that he intended to hit Beard with his truck following a fight earlier that day over a beer.

When asked by police why he hit Beard, Wagon said he wanted to "paralyze or disable (Beard)," according to court documents.

Wagon told Farmington Police Department detectives he was drinking with Beard and two other people when Beard thought Wagon was trying to steal his beer.

Then Beard allegedly hit Wagon with a "glancing blow to the back of his head," according to court documents.

Wagon and witness Garrett Holiday then took Beard to the ground and "tried to calm him down."

Beard then got up and allegedly hit Wagon again, knocking him to the ground.

Beard and Wagon continued to fight, according to documents, until Beard ran south towards West Apache Street with Holiday chasing him.

Wagon told police he got into his pickup truck to follow them.

He picked up Holiday along the way and then turned onto West Apache Street where he saw Beard.

"(Wagon) said he 'floored it,' drove up on the curb and hit (Beard) with the truck," the affidavit states.

Beard was pronounced dead when medical personnel arrived at the scene.

A witness told police she spotted a white pickup truck pulling out of the trailer park and then heading west on West Apache Street at a high rate of speed.

Wagon was later located by the Farmington police Gang Unit at his home off N.M. Highway 37.

Wagon made his first court appearance Wednesday morning and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday.

He is being held at the San Juan County Adult Detention Center on a $500,000 cash bond.

Joshua Kellogg covers crime, courts and social issues for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4627.