Two locals jailed in Brown ICE meth bust

Curtis Murray Sr. and Yvonne Anaya sentenced to federal prison on drug trafficking charges

Steve Garrison

FARMINGTON — Curtis Murray Sr. and Yvonne Anaya received federal prison sentences Thursday for their role in a local drug trafficking conspiracy, according to a U.S. Department of Justice press release.

Curtis Murray

Murray, 52, of Albuquerque, was sentenced to two years and nine months in prison followed by six years of supervised release for the offense of conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine.

Yvonne Anaya, 40, of Bloomfield, was sentenced to four years in prison — the maximum possible sentence for the offense of using a telephone to facilitate drug trafficking — followed by one year of supervised release.

Yvonne Anaya

Murray and Anaya were arrested along with 27 other defendants in February 2014 as a result of Operation Brown ICE, a year-long investigation by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Region II Narcotics Task Force of a local meth trafficking operation.

The alleged ring leader of the meth trafficking operation, Isaac Anaya, was sentenced in April to nine and a half years in federal prison. Federal and local law enforcement agents used a variety of tools, including wire taps, confidential informants and surveillance, to build criminal cases against the defendants involved in the trafficking organization.

According to court records, law enforcement officials determined Yvonne Anaya, Isaac Anaya's cousin, was responsible for trafficking approximately 255 grams of methamphetamine during the investigation.

At one point during the investigation, federal agents heard Yvonne Anaya brag on an intercepted phone call that police failed to find methamphetamine during a search of her vehicle, records state.

Murray allegedly distributed methamphetamine on behalf of Isaac Anaya during the conspiracy and also provided him a safe location to unload and redistribute the drug, according to court records.

Murray's attorney, Michael V. Davis, pointed out in a sentencing memorandum filed on July 14 that his client had maintained sobriety in the 16 months since his arrest. Davis argued Murray sold methamphetamine only to feed his own habit.

Steve Garrison covers crime and courts for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4644.