Farmington man charged in high-speed chase

Farmington Daily Times
Courtesy of San Juan County Adult Detention Center 
Jared Noyes

FARMINGTON — A 25-year-old Farmington man has been charged with drunkenly leading police on a nearly 20-mile long chase through San Juan County.
Jared Noyes was charged Thursday in Farmington Magistrate Court with aggravated fleeing of a law enforcement officer, first-offense drunken driving and other minor traffic offenses. 
Noyes has been released from San Juan County Adult Detention Center on a $6,150 bond, according to court records. 
He could not be reached by telephone Monday. 
Court records indicate he has not yet retained legal representation. 
Early Wednesday morning, a New Mexico State Police patrol officer saw a black Hyundai passenger car ignore a stop sign at Navajo Route 36 and Bisti Highway, according to an arrest warrant affidavit. 
The officer activated his siren and chased the vehicle east onto U.S. Highway 64 toward Bloomfield, the affidavit states. 
A San Juan County Sheriff’s Office deputy attempted to stop the vehicle by placing spike strips outside the 7-2-11 convenience store at 5697 U.S. Highway 64, according to the affidavit.
The deputy believed the spike strips succeeded in puncturing the Hyundai’s tires, but the car continued to exceed speeds of 85 miles per hour and turned south onto County Road 5500, the affidavit states.
The Hyundai driver ignored another stop sign and turned north onto U.S. Route 550, the affidavit states. 
A Bloomfield police officer attempted to stop the vehicle with more spike strips, but was unsuccessful, according to the affidavit. 
The vehicle hit a curb while turning onto County Road 4980 and came to a stop, the affidavit states. 
The driver was ordered out of the vehicle and identified as Noyes, according to the affidavit.
Noyes said he did not know why he attempted to flee from the officers, but a passenger in the vehicle, Roland Gregory, told police Noyes said he did not want to stop for fear of being arrested for drunken driving. 
Gregory, 29, told police they had just left Northern Edge Casino when the state patrol officer attempted to stop their vehicle. 
Noyes failed a field sobriety test and claimed he could not complete a breath test, the affidavit states. 
He was transported to San Juan Regional Medical Center and agreed to have his blood drawn, according to the affidavit. 
Steve Garrison covers crime and courts for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4644.