Here's what you should know before heading to the New Mexico State Fair in Albuquerque
ALBUQUERQUE - It’s fair season! The New Mexico State Fair is back this month in Albuquerque with stellar concerts, rodeo events, carnival rides and much more.
New Mexicans from all over the state will be heading to Albuquerque this month for the annual festivities and competitions. Here is what you should know before hitting the road.
When and where is the fair?
The New Mexico State Fair will take place between Sept. 8 and 18 this year at Expo New Mexico, located at 300 San Pedro Dr. NE in Albuquerque. Operating hours are 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
The Carnival Midway opens at 2 p.m. weekdays and at 10 a.m. on weekends. Kiddie Land, for young children, opens at noon on weekdays and at 10 a.m. on weekends.
What are the ticket prices?
Fair tickets are $15 for adults and $8 for both seniors 65 and older and children between 5 and 12. Children 5 and under are admitted for free. Concert and rodeo tickets can be purchased ahead of time and include admittance to the fair.
MegaPasses are $30 and include admission to the fair and an unlimited ride wristband eligible for only one day. One-way tickets for the Sky Ride are $5 each or $8 for a round trip.
Tickets can be purchased online at https://statefair.exponm.com/ or at the gates.
What is the music and rodeo lineup?
Five major concerts are scheduled during the two-week fair, paired with rodeos. There are also two stand-alone rodeos. They include:
- Sept. 9 – Martina McBride / PRCA Xtreme Bulls
- Sept. 10 – Dwight Yoakam / PRCA Xtreme Bulls
- Sept. 14 – PRCA Rodeo
- Sept. 15 – Brothers Osborne / PRCA Rodeo
- Sept. 16 – Mark Chesnutt / PRCA Rodeo
- Sept. 17 – Sublime with Rome / PRCA Rodeo
- Sept. 18 – PRCA Rodeo Matinee
What are the theme days?
- Law Enforcement Day – Certified law enforcement personnel with a valid ID are admitted for free
- Graze Days – All food vendors at the fair will offer one regular menu item for $3 on Thursdays
- Discovering Cannabis – a 21 and up exhibit will be on display each day, aimed at educating people about the new agricultural industry. Cannabis will not be available for consumption.
When is the fair parade?
The New Mexico State Fair Parade is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 10 along Central Avenue beginning at 8:30 a.m.
Are pets allowed at the fair?
Only service animals are allowed inside the fair and they must be kept on a leash.
Where is parking located?
Parking is available for Expo New Mexico at several gates including:
- Gate 1 on Central – $10 Monday through Thursday and $20 Friday through Sunday
- Gate 8 on Louisiana – $10 any day, though space fills up quickly
Handicap parking is available at both gates. According to the fair’s website, parking in the Fair West community is prohibited.
Leah Romero is the trending reporter at the Las Cruces Sun-News and can be reached at 575-418-3442, LRomero@lcsun-news.com or @rromero_leah on Twitter.
Others are reading: