Augusta Liddic/The Daily Times Firefighters remove a burned object from an apartment after a fire broke out at an apartment complex located at 411 North
Augusta Liddic/The Daily Times Firefighters remove a burned object from an apartment after a fire broke out at an apartment complex located at 411 North Locke Tuesday morning. (Augusta Liddic)
FARMINGTON — Farmington Fire Department crews contained an apartment fire that broke out Tuesday because of plumbing maintenance at 411 N. Locke Ave. 
The fire was called in at 11:13 a.m. Tuesday and firefighters arrived at the apartment building at 11:15 a.m., where smoke was seen billowing out of open doors and windows. The fire spread into multiple apartment units and into the attic before being contained.
All the apartment’s residents left the building safely before the first fire crews arrived, said Fire Chief Terry Page. 
Fire Marshall Robert Popa determined that the fire was accidental and caused by a plumber working on a shower on the first floor.
“The plumber was working on a water valve for a shower downstairs,” said apartment owner Alan Hawkinson, 60. “He didn’t mean to do it.” 
The plumbing work overheated wall materials causing the fire, Popa said. 
Popa and insurance assessors are determining the extent of the damage, currently estimated to be at least $100,000.
The apartment has been turned over to Hawkinson, who will determine when tenants can move back in.